Vintage Knitting, Retro Dressmaking, Make do and Mend, Original and Vintage Inspired Knitting Patterns, Vintage Inspired books

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Can you help me with some research?

I'm currently working away on the research for the Vintage Shetland Project and I wondered if you, dear reader, could help me with some of that research. One of the most striking of the garments in the Project is the 'Rose Cardigan' featuring a repeating flower/rose motif. This type of flower motif, usually accompanied by stem and foliage, seem to have been popular for a relatively short length of time in the late 1940s-early 1950s and I'm ploughing through my pattern archive trying to find as many examples of this type of motif as I can to date their arrival and demise.



Trimmed with Roses from A Stitch in Time Volume 2 is another example of these motifs, only the motif is bigger and uses a combination of stranded and  intarsia techniques to create it.



So how can you help? Do you have a vintage pattern or pattern book archive - particularly containing patterns published in the UK? I'm only looking for flower motifs from before the 1960s, I don't need any 1970s or 1980s examples. If so, could I ask you to take a flick through your patterns and see if you can find any examples of flower/rose motifs of this type. If you do find any could you scan the cover image, an image of the garment if different from the cover and the chart/instruction for the flower - I don't need the pattern otherwise, just the motif. If there are any other date references these would be very useful too. Please then email the information to susan@susancrawfordvintage.com

To say thank you let me know in your email any single PDF pattern of mine available on my ravelry pattern page you would like and I will send it to you via ravelry free of charge.

for now,
Susan xx


5 comments :

Suna said...

I have most of the Odham's knitting books, and if you want me to I'll be happy to look through them :)

The Vintage Knitter said...

I shall have a look through my collection and get back to you if I find any. Good luck with your search 😀

Unknown said...

I sent you an email with some pictures last night, did you receive it?

Just call me Ruby said...

Hi Laritza, yes I've got it. Will be replying over the weekend but thank you so much for sending the images over.

Anonymous said...

-- tried various searches in the wonderful nla treasure trove, but when my focus was too broad, got too many hits & vice versa.

-- did find this 1947 sweater with a rose chart, knit, not embroidered at

http://www.subversivefemme.com/2012/07/curvy-month-pattern-bonus-rose.html

-- & at the fiber fest I was at last weekend, they actually had this issue on their giveaway table (free, but donations accepted for the food bank can), along with all the other Vogue Knitting issues from those early decades - along with 7 more boxes of various old knitting magazines - unfortunately, I forced myself to limit my selections to just a few magazines to fill in some gaps in ones I collect!

:) Charlotte