Vintage Knitting, Retro Dressmaking, Make do and Mend, Original and Vintage Inspired Knitting Patterns, Vintage Inspired books

Thursday, December 04, 2008

Sometimes, life disappoints

I was really disappointed to find out yesterday that someone is selling one of my designs, knitted up, on ebay. An email has been sent to the person asking them to remove the items from sale, but its just a real shame that people do this. I've had similar experiences before and it always knocks the wind out of my sails. I have offered those designs for free and at my own expense - yarn, time, blog/web page costs - and would like to think that people have the decency not to try and make money from other people's efforts. But I have been proven wrong yet again. I'm sure these people would be the first to complain if there were no more free patterns available, but it does make you want to stop.

I could say a lot more, but I will leave it at that.

for now,
a sad Ruby xx

11 comments :

Unknown said...

I completely understand you. I have had bad experiences as well and not even with free patterns !

maramae said...

I just wanted to say how sorry I am that this happened to you. As one of the crafters who benefit from people like you who are so generous to offer your time and talent it dissappoints me that there are those who take advantage of it. I want to add that I appreciate so much what you do. I am not yet at a place in my crafting to write up patterns and I feel so blessed to find people like you who do. !Thank you! I can't say that enough and I am sure you don't hear it enough. Not all of us would do such a thing as to steal your hard work.
Mara

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about this. People can be real asshats and always to those who deserve it least. I hope it gets sorted soon. Love!

Anonymous said...

What a pity, but there are always people like this around. All I can say is that I myself fully appreciate the efforts of people like yourself who are able to create patterns and then make them available to us lesser mortals :-) I suppose the knitter of the garment in question feels that she is asking payment for her yarn and time, but it's not ethical to use someone else's pattern for gain. Commercial patterns always have a disclaimer about such use.
Please don't be disheartened!

Anonymous said...

Do you have a disclaimer on your patterns?

I think (if I were a pattern designer, and I'm not really) there's one situation where I wouldn't mind someone selling a knitted-up design, and that's if they'd originally knitted it for themself or a friend and it didn't fit.

Gudrun Johnston said...

GRrrrrr!!

Anonymous said...

there must be some way to protect your ideas - as a writer/filmmaker this haunts my creative efforts and i know your frustration personally. i hope all the well wishers here outweigh the ignorant opportunists.

Green Kitchen said...

So wrong. I'm sorry.

I find you very inspiring. Thank you.

Linda said...

Thats horrid Ruby. People are just so silly sometimes.

Catherine Wilson said...

Some people have no conscience don't let it put you off the wonderful work that you do!!!! x

Anonymous said...

Hey that's really pants!! I love being able to find free patterns and enjoy making them up, often they are more up to date than the patterns the big yarn companies are churning out. So I would hate it if this kind of thing stopped talented people like yourself generously sharing your designs. I love knittin but hate all that maths stuff you have to do to design so please don't stop.

thanks