Vintage Knitting, Retro Dressmaking, Make do and Mend, Original and Vintage Inspired Knitting Patterns, Vintage Inspired books

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

knitonthenet group on ravelry

I have set up a ravelry group for knitonthenet fans. There seems to be a group for everyone else so knitonthenet have got one now. If you're on ravelry do come along and join me there!
I've never hosted a group before. Does it make me important? Don't think so somehow.

Two things got me thinking about Kim Hargreaves' influence on my knitting over the last few days. I received a copy of Heartfelt, Kim's new book of patterns.

And I took Rowan book 26 off my bookshelf on Sunday night, looking for something, and went through the book page by page. Before reading any information I knew the name of the designer of each and every pattern! We're on book 42 now so that's EIGHT years ago and I still knew who had designed what. And of course, the majority of the designs were Kim's. And it dawned on me that I have knitted more designs by Kim Hargreaves than by anyone else other than myself. In fact, I've knitted so many I've lost track. I've knitted Core three times. I noticed that Jane over at Yarnstorm had also listed Kim as a major influence and I'm sure she's influenced many more people.

So back to her new book. I just love it. Its everything I love about Kim's work. Design pared down, with beautifully thought out detail. The colour palette and design of the book itself are lovely too. Thank you Kim.

My eight year old niece has also taken up knitting. Her school has actually started an after school knitting club. Fantastic. Here she is working very hard.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

She couldn't put her knitting down when she came to visit and went out with grandma who bought her some more needles and yarn.

On a personal knitting front I've been helping getting everything ready for the Stitch 'n Bitch day on Saturday, so haven't got a lot to show right now, but if you are going to the show there are going to be some beautiful garments on display and a preview of the next issue. There are also going to be hard copies of the patterns available if any one wants a 'proper' version, and I've just got my lovely new business cards back from the printers which will be available to take away!

but for now,

Ruby xx

2 comments :

Linda said...

I too have just ordered Kims book! (and a sale kit fell in my basket too!) I saw Yarnstorms scarf in progress which made my mind up.

Gudrun Johnston said...

Thanks for setting up the knitonthenet group on Ravelry and have fun on Saturday!