Vintage Knitting, Retro Dressmaking, Make do and Mend, Original and Vintage Inspired Knitting Patterns, Vintage Inspired books

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Further developments on 50's jacket

I've been trying to blog for a couple of days but we've been having electrical problems which have messed up the availability of my internet connection. I tried blogging from my mobile phone today which I can apparently do, but when I read the blogger instructions - via my tiny screen on my phone it doesn't post directly to an existing blog - blogger creates a new blog and then you have to transfer from that blog to your own blog - FAR FAR too much trouble.

Enough of all that anyway, I had a great time at Woolfest, its a great show, just not enough time or enough money. The weather though was awful. We stayed in our caravan on the Friday and Saturday nights and I thought we were going to get washed down the hill. We had a number of leaks - one right on top of the cooker. It was a great excuse for sitting in and knitting all day Sunday though.

Have got some many different things to blog about but have been working hard on my 50's textured jacket. I have decided on a different stitch which I spotted in an old 1940's pattern book I have. It gives a lovely slanted cross-over.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

It is a 4 row pattern repeat over only 2 sts as follows:

Begin pattern with 1 row knit then:

Row 1(WS): purl
Row 2 (RS): K1, *Sl1, K1, pass slipped stitch back onto left hand needle and knit into the back of it (referred to as cross); rep from * to last st., K1.
Row 3: purl
Row 4: K2, *Sl1, K1, cross, rep from * to last st., K2.

This is what the jacket is going to look like.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

There are ribbed side panels and at the waist I have reduced the needle size down again to create a shaped waist without working decreases. The rib carries through onto the underside of the raglan sleeves. The sleeves are three quarter length with a ribbed cuff.

The jacket is hemmed and faced at centre fronts. I am putting a little fake breast pocket in as this was often a feature in 50's jackets.

I have sized it for the sample for a 40-42 inch chest - see the illustration below for my working schematic for the body pieces.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Click on the sketch to take you to a larger image.

I haven't finished the sleeve yet but I'll show you that tomorrow.
I always take photocopies of my schematic before I start writing measurements on it and use it to start writing out the stitches on a seperate sheet. I'll show my dead, dead simple way of matching the raglans tomorrow when I have the diagrams ready. I've got to work my rib swatch tonight then I can calculate my pattern.

to be continued...

for now,
Ruby xxx

No comments: