Vintage Knitting, Retro Dressmaking, Make do and Mend, Original and Vintage Inspired Knitting Patterns, Vintage Inspired books

Monday, January 01, 2007

Butterfly dress & a Happy New Year


Phew, its taken me much longer to get back to the computer than I expected - all the usual christmas stuff just got in the way - but it was worth it. I wish everyone best wishes for 2007, however the weather here isn't promising, the sky is black, the wind is wild and the rain is coming down in icy cold sheets... what a miserable start to 2007. Never mind, it means instead of going for a bracing walk by the sea I can start getting my blog updated.

First of all, and long over due, here's a better photo of my lovely butterfly dress. The pattern is a Vogue original 1940s tea dress that I've played with slightly. I got the fabric from a patchwork shop and it was a reject, in places the butterflies are fainter than in others but I rather like the effect. I got about 10 yards for about £10. I then embroidered over two of the butterflies on the bodice and three on the front skirt panel with a scarlet thread, mainly using chain and satin stitch.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I used scarlet bias binding on most of the seams, but particularly the hem so when you walk or cross your legs you get a little flash of red ribbon. I tweaked the fit to be just right and it fits like a dream.

2 comments :

frenchmade said...

I LOVE this dress!! Great job. The (red) butterflies are such a nice touch. I have been wanting to start sewing for quite some time, and your dress has inspired me! : )

TheKnittingBee said...

What a beautiful dress. I have the same fabric but it's cream with sepia butterflies. Sadly there isn't enough to do anything major, but I think I may use it as a panel for a skirt or something. I love your overstitched red butterflies - they work really well.